Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsGlassing offender spared prison time

Glassing offender spared prison time

A KINGSTON man who violently “glassed” a 17-year-old boy at a football function, causing the victim serious injuries and leaving him to fear for his life, has avoided jail.

Connor Baker, 21, appeared in the Mount Gambier District Court yesterday, supported by family and friends, as he was sentenced for one count of aggravated intentionally causing harm.

The unprovoked, pre-meditated incident occurred at the Kingston Football Club on June 4, 2017.

Last week in sentencing submissions, the court heard that in the lead-up to the assault Baker had sent a number of threatening “Snapchat” messages to the victim who was now dating his former girlfriend.

Jealousy led Baker to threaten the defendant by telling him not to play in a trial football game and he told his ex-girlfriend that he was going to bash the victim.

On June 3, the victim attended a fundraiser at the Kingston Football Club, the team which Baker played for.

In the early hours of the following morning, when the fundraiser had ended, Baker approached the victim in the car park with a glass.

Baker, fuelled by alcohol, broke the glass over the left side of the victim’s face, causing 12cm and 5cm cuts.

The victim was rushed to Kingston Hospital, however due to the seriousness of the injuries was taken to Mount Gambier Hospital soon after.

Since the assault, the victim has required six surgeries and has been left with internal damage to a nerve link in his eye and saliva glands.

Last week, the victim read a statement to the court highlighting the permanent scars on his face remind him of how scared he was on that night.

“The paramedics could not control the bleeding and I was worried I might die,” the victim said.

“It has changed my life forever.”

The victim stated that he would no longer be able to play sport and was worried how it would affect his Year 12 results due to missing two weeks of school with the injury.

The prosecution said imprisonment was necessary as there was a strong need for deterrence due to the incidence of alcohol-fuelled attacks in society.

“The court has long been concerned about violence between young men,” the prosecution said.

Judge Gordon Barrett accepted the offending was serious, particularly because the messages showed the defendant was “saving up for it”.

“When you hit someone with a glass there is always a risk you might cause serious harm,” Judge Barrett said.

“Your alcohol-fuelled jealousy has caused you to act in a vicious and dangerous way.”

Despite this, Judge Barrett sited a number of reasons that set the defendant apart from other people who commit similar serious assaults.

“Others must know they face severe punishment, but there is another side to your story,” Judge Barrett said.

He highlighted the fact Baker attended at the police station after the attack, sent an apology to the victim’s girlfriend an hour after and made efforts to engage in counselling since the incident.

Judge Barrett sentenced the defendant to two years and five months imprisonment with a one year, three month non-parole period, however suspended the sentence.

Baker entered a $1000, three year good behaviour bond requiring him to be supervised for 12 months.

He will also have to complete 200 hours of community service within 12 months.

“The balance has fallen in your favour,” Judge Barrett said.

“If you breach or re-offend by committing any more offences you will be liable to go to prison for the time fixed.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...