Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsSoftwood estate over-cut fear

Softwood estate over-cut fear

GOBSMACKED: Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell.

FEARS have surfaced the region’s softwood estate is being over-cut amid new figures revealing OneFortyOne Plantations has posted annual profits of up to $125.5m.

These concerns come as regional timber industry insiders continue to flag concerns over the high levels of log exports leaving the Port of Portland and the sustained upswing in harvesting rates.

Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell has questioned how profits could soar from $30m – when the asset was managed by ForestrySA – to a “gob-smacking” $125.5m
under private ownership.

The Liberal MP has called on OFO to release the export softwood log figures for this financial year.

“Some people are very concerned the estate is being over-cut – we need to know what is going on,” Mr Bell told The Border Watch.

“Our community needs to be ensured the government is monitoring whether the sale conditions are being met.”

“OneFortyOne will likely have the whole asset paid off by mid 2019 – it is mind boggling they will making this type of profit for the next 100 years,” Mr Bell said.

“It is unbelievable the company is making $125.5m – and that’s just the profit.”

In a fiery broadside at the Labor Government, Mr Bell said he was stunned the government sold the community’s forestry estate for such a “bargain-basement price”.

“I have no ill-will against OneFortyOne for purchasing the asset, the government put it up for sale,” Mr Bell said.

“But the sale price of $670m just shows how incompetent this Labor mob really is.”

He claimed the “incompetence” of the government particularly was staggering given it sold the estate during a downward cycle in the market.

“This is lost annual revenue to the people of South Australia – I find this really sad for our community,” Mr Bell said.

He claimed the profits were now flowing overseas instead of into the state’s economy.

But OneFortyOne chief executive officer Linda Sewell rejected these concerns.

“We take our responsibilities very seriously. We have met and will continue to meet all conditions of our agreement,” Ms Sewell said.

“We report on this annually to the government.”

The company chief also categorically rejected the resource was being over-cut.

“We are here for the long term,” Ms Sewell said.

“We purchased a 105 year lease … over-cutting in the short-term would not be consistent with growing long-term value.”

Regarding harvesting rates, she said these changed from year to year depending on the profile of the forest.

“We have world class technology which ensures we can’t cut more than the forest can sustain,” Ms Sewell said.
“Further, for every log we harvest, we replant – we are planting more than five million trees this year alone.”

Moreover, she said there had been a 45pc increase in logs sold to domestic buyers since 2012 and export volumes were declining.

“The domestic market has been buoyant in the past three years and our customers continue to seek more logs, however we must be mindful the forest is a finite resource and we continue to manage it sustainably now and into the future.”

The company directly employs more than 50 staff in the Green Triangle as well as up to 500 people locally via contractor partners.

 

 

 

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...