If you look after someone, either all the time or just some of the time, who is frail due to age, has a disability, health or has a mental illness, then Carers SA is here for you.
Carers SA is the main provider of support services and the peak body representing the needs and interests of Carers in South Australia.
Carers SA is dedicated to working with all carers regardless of age, location or life-style to provide them support, choices and opportunities to improve their quality of life.
For 30 years Carers SA has been the voice for carers so their contribution to the South Australian community and economy is recognised.
We have also lobbied government to improve the conditions for unpaid carers through policy development, research and advocacy.
Carers are at the heart of everything we do.
We want your contribution to be valued and your voice to be heard.
Carers provides unpaid carers with a range of support services including carer support planning, emergency respite, peer support and coaching, in-person counselling and tailored financial packages.
HOW CAN CARERS SA HELP?
Carers SA delivers support and services to unpaid carers through the new Carer Gateway, which is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
In April 2020 under the government’s new carer support model, Carers SA will now be the main provider of services for South Australia’s 250,000 unpaid carers.
Carers SA offers many supports to carers including:
– Tailored carer-directed support packages that give carers practical assistance of their choice.
– Counselling provided by qualified counsellors. Talk one-on-one, in person with a professional counsellor in your area or on the phone in the comfort of your own home about any concerns or situation.
– Carer support planning to understand carer needs and develop a tailored action plan.
– Peer support workshops and coaching that connects carers with other carers in similar situations and identifies goals and teaches new ways to manage stress and improve carer wellbeing.
– Emergency respite which provides Carers relief from caring during an urgent or unplanned event.
Visit www.carerssa.com.au/how-can-we-help/ for more information.
SUPPORT FOR YOUNG CARERS
Are you under 25 and looking after a family member or friend?
Do you regularly help out and support a person who requires ongoing care?
At Carers SA, we believe all children and young people have the right to enjoy life and reach their potential.
We can support you to balance your caring role with study, work, and social life.
Is your schoolwork suffering? It can be difficult balancing your education with caring.
Carers SA might be able to raise awareness of young carers at your school, assist with tutoring outside of school hours, assist with the cost of school uniforms, computers and textbooks, or help prepare you for the world of work.
If we cannot help directly, we can put you in touch with other support services who may be able to.
If you are over 16 years of age, there are some government payments that you may be able to access with support from Carers SA.
The Young Carer Bursary Program also aims to help relieve financial pressure for young carers, while combining study and caring responsibilities.