Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeFeaturesRock Lobster fishermen hit the sea

Rock Lobster fishermen hit the sea

FISHING BEGINS: Gordon Lewis’ pots are ready to be loaded on the boats just in time to hit the water on Sunday. Picture: TODD LEWIS

PROFESSIONAL fishermen across the South East are ready to hit the water once again this weekend with the 2017/18 rock lobster fishing season commencing on Sunday.

For the eighth consecutive year, the total allowable catch for the Southern Zone Rock Lobster Fishery of South Australia has been set at 1245.7 tonnes.

The season will once again run from October 1 to May 31.

South Eastern Professional Fishermen’s Association executive officer Nathan Kimber said in the last seven seasons the quota had been taken in full.

“SEPFA expects demand for the product will remain relatively high in the 2017/18 season,” Mr Kimber said.

Port MacDonnell fisherman Gordon Lewis no longer works on his boats, however he is still excited about the start of the fishing season.

LEGAL LOBSTER: A Southern Zone rock lobster is measured to see if it is the legal size limit in a past season.

“I got off the boat two years ago only because my three boys have taken over now,” Mr Lewis said.

“They are their own bosses, I’m just the banker I think, but I’m certainly still in the background helping out where I can.”

Around 165 vessels are expected to take to the ocean to set pots for the first time on Sunday, however weather could delay the start of the season for some fishermen.

“We have looked at the weather for Sunday and unfortunately it looks like there will be a five or six metre swell already,” Mr Lewis said.

While fishermen like to get out on the water as soon as they can, Mr Lewis said one of the benefits of the quota is that they no longer have to take risks when the weather presents challenges.

“Before the quota came in, we used to fish a lot of rough weather, but since the quota came in, it has taken a lot of the stress out of it,” he said.

“You don’t have to fish those rough days because once you’ve caught your quota, it’s over.”

Advances in technology have also helped protect fishermen from wild seas.

“Willyweather and Buoyweather apps have changed the fishing landscape as back in the day we never had any of that and we used to lose a lot of gear because we didn’t know to shift off the beach or other things like that,” Mr Lewis said.

“These days you can look up the weather a week out and get a good idea about the size of the swell and whether the wind is going to kick.”

While Mr Lewis has had success in the industry for 40 years, he said even off the boat he was still learning new things about the game.

“I don’t know if there is any such thing as a good fisherman, but there’s probably lucky fishermen,” he said.

“A good fisherman catches their quota if they can and there are some years we haven’t caught it, but fortunately for us the last few years have been good.”

With excitement building prior to the start of the season, Mr Kimber said the industry will once again provide an economic boost for the region and provide jobs to many people across the state.

“The rock lobster industry in SA generates around $300m in economic activity for the state each year, much of which directly supports the regional and coastal communities in the South East and Limestone Coast,” Mr Kimber said.

“Further, the fishery in the Southern Zone generates around 1300 full-time equivalent jobs for South Australia.”

Whether they first hit the seas Sunday or early next week, Mr Lewis is anticipating another successful rock lobster season for his three sons.

“We only had to fish five to six months of the season last year and there were a number of undersize lobster around, so we are hopeful it will be another great season,” he said.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...