‘Family first’ as Millicent salon closes doors in wake of virus

Wray Thomas Two TBW Newsgroup
FINAL CUT: One of the last customers of Bianca Thomas at Kutz on Kentish on Thursday was Rendelsham’s Louisa Wray. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH

ANOTHER Millicent business has voluntarily closed its doors for the foreseeable future as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hairdresser Bianca Thomas ceased trading at Kutz on Kentish in Davenport Street on Thursday night as a preventative measure.

The mother of two young sons took the action as she wanted to put her family first.

“I also do not want to put my two staff or any of our clients at risk,” Ms Thomas said.

“They have all been very understanding.

“Hopefully, the closure will not be for too long.”

Her career as a hairdresser has spanned two decades and she has run the Kutz on Kentish salon for the past 15 years.

Ms Thomas has strictly followed the COVID-19 protocols at the premises including social distancing, limits on the number of persons allowed and the frequent use of disinfectants.

“The Federal Government stated last week there would be a 30-minute on hairdressing appointments,” she said.

“A few days later, this limit was lifted.

“This surprised me as I thought the Federal Government was going to shut all hairdressers down altogether.

“These decisions did not affect me as I had already decided to close for a while.”

Among the other local businesses to temporarily shut their doors as a result of COVID-19 are Millicent Toy Kingdom, Sassi, Heaven on a Hanger, Vinnies, Number 23 office complex, Shirene Figg Hair and Beauty, Wattle Range Trading, Pierina’s Hair and Body Concept and Millicent Florist.

Sooz in the Shed and McCourts Garden Centre have also opted to close for the time being, but are offering a delivery service.

Several Millicent businesses are also assisting their clients and customers via special arrangements.

The Limestone Coast has recorded five cases of COVID-19, with three new cases confirmed last Wednesday.

A 10-year-old Kingston Community School student tested positive to the virus on Thursday, prompting a minimum 24 hour shutdown of the facility.

New social restrictions, compulsory quarantine for international arrivals and fines for breaching self-isolation are among measures made at both a federal and state level over the weekend to combat the spread of the disease.

All arrivals through airports will now be required to quarantine in hotels and other facilities before they can return home under strict new rules announced by Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

The Prime Minister urged people aged 70 and over, people with chronic illnesses over the age of 60 and Indigenous people over the age of 50 to stay at home and self-isolate.

As of Saturday, international arrivals must isolate in the city they arrived in, irrespective of their permanent residence.

South Australia banned gatherings of more than 10 people on Friday, but two days later, Mr Morrison announced a tightening on the rules, limiting them to two people.

Individuals who are not complying with the compulsory self-isolation measures will face on-the-spot fines of $1000 under new State Government regulations.

Businesses found to be not compliant will be fined $5000.

Leave a Reply