Last chance taken in tight day of netball

EXPERIENCE: Hatherleigh's Keston Green takes front position to receive the ball during the Eagles' win over Tantanoola in the Mid South East netball preliminary final.


HATHERLEIGH has one more shot at glory in the Mid South East A Grade netball season after booking a grand final berth with a strong defeat of Tatanoola in the preliminary final on Saturday.

The Eagles approached the game after going down to Kalangadoo the weekend prior by just three goals, while Tantanoola had claimed a win against Mount Burr in the first semi-final and enjoyed a week off before the preliminary final clash.

The game started at a fast pace, with the younger goalies nervous, missing their first goals.

But it did not take long to settle and hit their targets in the windy conditions.

Keston Green started well for the Eagles, with her finals experience showing, while after missing the second semi-final, Sarah Faulkner started at centre, with her on-court experience proving valuable.

Lacey Haines had an outstanding first quarter, finding plenty of the ball to shoot 11 goals for the quarter.

For the Tigers, Emma Gould started well at GS, using her height to her advantage and finishing with accuracy.

However, the Eagles set the scene with a 17-9 lead at the first break.

Hatherleigh came our firing in the second term to apply pressure and force errors from the Tigers.

They scored three unanswered goals and their defence was relentless, with Maddie Pulmer and Maddie Redman getting touches to give their teammates opportunities to score from turnovers.

The Eagles mid-court of Lara McGregor, Tegan Merrett and Faulkner provided plenty of drive to get the ball to their goal circle.

Tantanoola found some run in the latter hlaf of the term, but it was Hatherleigh’s quarter as they set up a commanding 33-17 lead at the main break.

The third quarter saw both goal shooters stand tall.

Gould was the focal point for the Tigers, shooting eight and missing just two, while at the other end Green shot 10 for the quarter, while the Eagles took a strong 49-26 lead to the final break.

The final term saw Tantanoola’s goalies hit their straps, as Jami Walker was able to find some good space and finished off with accuracy.

Haines missed a few attempts in the term, but Green rebounded well.

The Tigers won the last quarter 18-13, but the Eagles had set up a strong lead and ran out eventual winners.


AFTER an intense start to the A Reserve game, Glencoe advanced the grand final with a hard-fought victory over Port MacDonnell.

The win came on the back of strong performances from Malinda Markiewicz and Taitlyn Rothe, who shot with accuracy in the windy conditions.

Megan Hein was the focal point for the Demons and was fed well by Montanna Millard and Narelle Lewis, but Glencoe went into the first break with a three-goal lead.

The tight contest continued after the break, with both sides scoring seven goals for the quarter.

While Rothe was kept quiet in the third quarter, Markiewics stood tall and scored 11 goals for to keep the Murphies in front.

In the end Glencoe claimed the win to advance to the grand final.


It was another tight contest in the B Grade clash, with Glencoe advancing to the grand final.

Glencoe was on fire from the outset, as turnovers allowed Abbie Cocks and Kayla Medhurst scoring opportunities to finish the quarter with a six-goal lead.

Tantanoola applied good defensive pressure through Kristie Rowe and Amy Mason but Glencoe still had the momentum, winning the second term by two goals for a 24-16 lead at the main break.

The Tigers found something extra after the break and won the third term by three goals and despite an even final term, the Murphies had done enough to claim the win.


The close contests continued in the B Reserve match, with Glencoe again claiming a grand final berth after a tight match against Hatherleigh, with extra time needed to decide the victor.

The game was tied up at the first break, as shooters battled the tough conditions.

Hatherleigh made a break in the second term and went to half time with a handy six-goal advantage.

They extended that to a seven-goal lead at the final break at looked to have the upper hand.

However, Glencoe made some changes to the lineup and began to close the margin, with the game tied up after regulation time.

Glencoe then lifted in the time-on period to run out five-goal victors.


The top junior grade saw a strong performance by Kalangadoo over Mount Burr to head to grand final day.

The Magpies worked hard throughout the tight contest, despite the Mozzies holding a one-goal advantage at the first break.

However, Kalangadoo turned the game around in the second term to head to the main break with a two-goal advantage.

The pressure began to show in the third term, as the Magpies continued work hard at both ends of the court to open the margin to seven goals at the final break.

Mount Burr came out strong in the last quarter, but it was not enough to stop the Magpies as they joined their senior club mates for a shot at the premiership flag.


Kalangadoo set up its 15 and Under win with a strong start to the match.

Hatherleigh struggled to contain the Magpies through the mid-court, while in the goal circle Kalangadoo and shot accurately.

Kalangadoo’s defensive pressure made it challenging for Hatherleigh to score, but changes at the main break saw the young Eagles with the term, but not by enough to have an impact on the scoreboard, with the Magpies claiming a strong win.


It was a strong performance for Hatherleigh in the 13 and Under match against Mount Burr to advance to the grand final.

The match went goal-for-goal early, the windy conditions challenging for both sides.

Hatherleigh took the advantage with a four-goal lead and pushed on from there.

By half time the margin was 10 goals and Mount Burr was on the back foot.

Mount Burr hit back and won the third term by a goal, but Hatherleigh sealed the win in the final stanza with some solid offensive and defensive play.