Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsMount Burr brigade on move to new site

Mount Burr brigade on move to new site

Mount Burr Fire Truck TBW Newsgroup
NEW HOME NEARS: The Mount Burr CFS is about to move into new premises. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH

THE new Mount Burr Country Fire Service (CFS) shed is about a fortnight away from being operational.

The exterior is complete, but Mount Burr CFS Brigade captain Trevor Schultz said some interior work was still required.

He said his fellow volunteer firefighters were keen to use the new facility.

“There is still some electrical work, painting and plumbing and this should take about two weeks,” Mr Schultz said.

“We went to a job on the Overland Track a few weeks ago but otherwise it has been fairly quiet.

“Mount Burr CFS did not need to go to the house fire at Nangwarry last month.”

The previous Mount Burr CFS facility was built in 1973 on Pettman Terrace but became unsuited to larger fire trucks.

The CFS decided on the construction of a two-bay shed as its replacement.

The Mount Burr CFS fire truck is currently stored at the town’s former timber mill pending the completion of its new base.

Funds for the project were provided in the 2018 state budget and were welcomed by Member for MacKillop Nick McBride.

He said the previous Labor State Government had provided Mount Burr with a new CFS truck, but not a larger shed to house it.

Consideration had been given to building a new structure at a different site in Mount Burr.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...