Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsToy gun imports in firing line

Toy gun imports in firing line

Craig Davies June 30 TBW Newsgroup
IMPORT BAN: Millicent retailer Craig Davies cannot import the gel blaster toy guns owing to a state-wide ban imposed by police. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH

TOY guns may no longer be stocked by a Millicent retailer following an import ban by the South Australian Police.

The importation of gel blasters has been suspended for over three months following a string of incidents reported to police across the state.

A report will also be tabled by police to the State Government regarding the gel blasters, which shoot a superabsorbent water bead as projectiles.

The import ban has had a devastating impact on the Craiola shop in George Street which is operated by Craig Davies and Nicola Manser.

The couple last sought to import gel blasters in March and sent the payment to China for the goods.

Mr Davies said the pair have to secure an import permit from the SAPOL Firearms Section for every order they lodge.

“We had heard in March that our import permit application had been accepted for processing,” Mr Davies said.

“China is our sole source of gel blasters and there is no middle man.

“We can get accessories but not the gel blasters.

“Our Craiola shop has been hit really hard.

“We have to rebuild our business reputation.

“We cannot survive without stock.

“We have begun stocking model cars as a sideline.”

The couple opened the store in 2019 and say the gel blasters are popular with family groups and the elderly.

Gel blasters are illegal in a number of states and Mr Davies and Ms Manser urge customers to use the toy guns in a responsible fashion.

The couple attempted to establish a skirmish park at their Rocky Camp property in 2019 but could not secure planning approval from Wattle Range Council.

South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens announced the import ban on gel blasters would be in place until a further report is completed.

He said staff were working through the report process and will provide more information to Police, Emergency Services and Correctional Services Minister Corey Wingard.

Commissioner Stevens said the current importation of the product was on hold, but would be on the advice of the information provided to Mr Wingard in regards to the longer-term prospects.

He said there were many circumstances where the products had been used to threaten and intimidate people because of its “lifelike” appearance.

“We are taking this very seriously as we step through this,” Commissioner Stevens said.

“We have been looking at gel blasters for some time and updating our assessment as the product changes and becomes more sophisticated but the use of gel blasters in the community is also a significant concern to us and the recent injuries and threats to people highlights that for us.”

Mr Wingard said the State Government had been monitoring the gel blasters issue closely and had been regularly requesting information from the state police and Commissioner Stevens.

“In light of the recent incidents involving gel blasters, the police’s advice had recently changed and we are now working out the best and fairest way to achieve a regulatory position that works for everyone,” Mr Wingard said.

“SAPOL will be putting to us their recommended regulatory changes soon for review.

“I have also asked for the issue of gel blasters to be placed on the agenda of the Ministerial Council for Police and Emergency Services Management meeting scheduled in November.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...