Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal News$6m office plan

$6m office plan

A NEW principal office for Wattle Range Council costing almost $6m has been recommended by staff for Jubilee Park in Millicent.

Previous ball-park figures in recent years to build a new administrative hub had been around the $3.6m mark.

If it proceeds to fruition, it will be the most expensive public sector building in dollar terms ever to be built in the 150-year history of Millicent.

The estimate is twice the $3m needed in 2006 to construct the 30-bed extension to the Sheoak Lodge aged care facility attached to Millicent and District Hospital.

After a 17-page staff report is tabled, councillors will be asked to support the staff recommendation at tonight’s Wattle Range Council meeting.

As part of the recommended motion of chief executive officer Ben Gower, there will be a formal public consultation period lasting 21 days about the Jubilee Park proposal.

Jubilee Park was named in honour of South Australia’s 150th anniversary in 1986 and a barbecue and shelter were erected at this time.

Lying between the Millicent Bowling Club and the Millicent RSL Hall, Jubilee Park is primarily grassed open space.

It also has toilets, a paved driveway and car parking.

With the 85-year-old current council principal office deemed outdated and unsuitable for many years, council has long considered other options to house around 50 office staff.

At present, council administrative staff are spread across three locations in Millicent.

It commissioned architects to examine the possibility of re-building and extending the current principal office which was purpose-built in 1935 as the new Millicent High School.

The architects also examined the conversion of the former Millicent Community Club as well as greenfield sites at Jubilee Park, Apex Club and the former netball courts on North Terrace.

The estimates for work at the Community Club site ranged from $6.6m to $8.3m, but the option disappeared in April when it was purchased by a former Geelong retailer.

The renovation and extension of the current principal office has been costed at around $4m, but a number of other expenses are anticipated.

These include temporary office relocation costs, improvements to the existing site, re-roofing of the existing building and alteration to rooflines, earthworks and landscaping.

The two greenfield sites are costed at almost $7m each and Mr Gower has also canvassed their pros and cons.

In conclusion, Mr Gower said Jubilee Park was his preference on costs and other grounds.

“It is located adjacent to the Millicent War Memorial Civic and Arts Centre and Library,” Mr Gower said.

“The Civic and Arts Centre overflow car park can be utilised for dual purposes servicing both the future main office site and the centre.

“The location of the Jubilee Park site is nearer the Millicent CBD area and improves connectivity to the CBD precinct.

“The area is sufficient in size to accommodate the future office building and sufficient in size to accommodate further growth if required.

“It is important to note these cost estimates have been produced by quantity surveyors based on high level concept plans.

“Council will not have an accurate estimate of the final build and fit out cost until a detailed design has been completed and the project is costed against those designs through a competitive tender process.”

He said $165,000 has been earmarked in the draft 2020/21 budget for the detailed design and procurement phases.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...