Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsYears of debate culminates in overhaul of kerbside waste collection services

Years of debate culminates in overhaul of kerbside waste collection services

Luke, Louie And Chanel (3) TBW Newsgroup
REDUCE, REUSE AND RECYCLE: Mount Gambier residents Luke and Louie Thomson and Chanel Dimuccio are pleased City Council will trial a by-appointment and free hard waste collection service for ratepayers. Picture: MOLLY TAYLOR

AFTER years of debate at both council and community level, Mount Gambier residents will have access to a City Council-operated hard waste collection service, while greenwaste fees have been dumped in a bid to encourage households to dispose of organic waste responsibly.

The major overhaul to council’s kerbside collection service was endorsed by elected members at Tuesday night’s full council meeting, approving a bulky goods collection trial while making green waste tags a thing of the past.

New and existing users will not need to pay any fee for kerbside green organics collection from July 1.

However, people requiring a green waste bin will be charged a one-off $85 fee, which council will deliver along with a kitchen caddy and biodegradable waste bags to help the transition to improved organic waste disposal.

Council will incur an estimated loss of income in the order of $518,000, but council infrastructure general manager Nick Serle believes the social benefits outweigh the financial impact.

“The social benefits of providing a free food organics, green organics (FOGO) collection service to the entire City of Mount Gambier community would far outweigh the cost in this difficult time of COVID-19 pandemic when so many of our community are struggling to meet their basic needs,” Mr Serle said in a report tabled at council.

“Savings would be realised in the general waste service due to reduced volumes of waste sent to landfill.”

Green waste bins will remain an “opt-in” service, however current and future year education programs would include a push on FOGO and seek to increase the take up of such bins.

Council’s bulky goods collection trial will form part of the local government body’s response to the COVID-19 crisis, giving each residential property access to one pick up service by appointment.

Council will allocate $200,000 to the service between July 1 and December 31, with each household able to organise to have a maximum of two cubic metres of hard waste collected from their kerbside.

Conditions will apply to what types of waste will be accepted with an aim to encourage responsible disposal of household items.

The service will be carried out by staff who have been employed under council’s COVID-19 short-term employment program, which was endorsed by elected members earlier this month.

“Bulky waste has been an issue for some time, this is an opportunity to try this option and see if it has long term potential as a suitable option for this waste stream,” Mr Serle said in the report.

“It will reduce waste to landfill and potentially reduce illegal dumping -at charity stores and in other locations such as quiet roads on the outskirts of town and pine forests near Mount Gambier.”

Councillor Christian Greco eagerly moved each waste motion during Tuesday night’s virtual meeting, labelling them the most exciting recommendations in his five-year term on council.

“These are the best two items I have ever seen on the agenda,” he said.

“It’s about time we are doing it … I was happy to tell people ‘look what’s coming up’, I could not be more excited.”

Cr Frank Morello shared the enthusiasm, labelling the hard waste trial a good step forward.

“It will no doubt help a lot of people who do not have the means to dispose of large bulky items at the waste transfer station, it will give them an opportunity to declutter while also reducing the amount of waste that goes to landfill,” he said.

Mount Gambier resident and former councillor Merv White also praised the changes, which he said were often debated during his time in the chamber.

“When hard waste collection was first canvassed during my time on council, we were not sure if it would be economically viable,” he said.

“These are both excellent ideas and anything free of charge for residents at the moment is a good thing.”

Further information about how residents can access the hard waste service will be released by council in the coming weeks.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...