Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsEstate 'not confident' in visitor numbers despite State Government lifting travel ban

Estate ‘not confident’ in visitor numbers despite State Government lifting travel ban

Emma Bowen (2) TBW Newsgroup
READY TO RESTART: Bowen Estate’s Emma Bowen is excited for travellers to start filtering through the Coonawarra strip.

INTRASTATE travel has been encouraged by the State Government, but a Coonawarra winery is concerned it will not record an influx of visitors anytime soon.

Last week, Premier Steven Marshall said non-essential travel within South Australia was no longer restricted and encouraged regional travel, including caravaning and camping, as of Monday.

Despite the easing of restrictions, Bowen Estate owner Joy Owner was not confident intrastate tourists would flock to Coonawarra, saying the winery relied on tourists from across the border.

“At the moment we are still limited to people not being able to taste on site which is fine, but a lot of people do enjoy that experience,” Ms Bowen said.

“We rely heavily on interstate travellers, not those from South Australia.

“Even though the restrictions have been eased, we do not think many travellers will come rushing here.”

However, Penola and District Business and Tourism Association president Rebecca Trotter said the association was expecting an increase of intrastate travel, with an initial increase from Limestone Coast residents rediscovering Penola’s charm.

“In coming weeks we will definitely expect a shift to more visitation from further afield including Adelaide,” Ms Trotter said.

“We are encouraging business to begin trading as close to normal as they can, with most of our local businesses either open or looking forward to opening soon.

“We would also like to encourage our residents to help support our local businesses as much as possible as they begin this challenging recovery and relaunch phase.”

Ms Trotter said the association was working on a new campaign to boost visitation to Coonawarra.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...