Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsLightning sparks emergency

Lightning sparks emergency

Fred Stent TBW Newsgroup
TORCHED: Wattle Range Country Fire Service group officer Fred Stent stands infront of the paddock where a fire was spotted on Saturday morning following a dry lightening strike. Picture: TODD LEWIS

AN OUT-OF-CONTROL bushfire caused by a dry lightning strike south of Nangwarry spurred more than 200 of the region’s firefighters into action on Saturday in an effort to protect pine plantations.

The fire, which started in a paddock on Pow Lane, was first reported by Country Fire Service (CFS) air operations at around 11.40am.

While it posed no threat to any properties, the blaze quickly spread into OneFortyOne Pine Plantations and weather conditions made it difficult for firefighters to bring it under control.

The blaze was raised to a Level 2 incident and a total of 53 appliances from the CFS and forestry firefighting groups were deployed to the fire across the weekend.

While the fire was still listed as “going” at press-time yesterday, Wattle Range CFS group officer Fred Stent said firefighters had gained control of the blaze.

“It was a big challenge to get it under control, we had support from the air, we ended up with four bombers at one stage,” Mr Stent said.

“Even in the days after the initial burn, we have had problems here, yesterday we had seven or eight little break-outs, but we got control of them pretty quick.”

Mr Stent said the fire had burned around 480 hectares and he praised the firefighters for their tireless efforts to contain it to that area.

“It has mostly burned scrub and there has been a loss to some pine plantation, but overall I think we have had a pretty good save,” Mr Stent said.

“We were lucky we did not have any big assets such as houses and farms in the line of the fire.

“Potentially if it got a bit further than it did we would have had to do some asset protection, so we are fortunate in that sense.”

Behind the scenes, the incident management team for the Nangwarry fire were working hard to provide the best logistical advice to the firefighters on the ground.

Incident controller Jeff Brooks said it had been a busy couple of days in the Mount Gambier control centre, providing crews with everything they need.

“We obtain information so that we can predict fire behaviour whether that be weather forecasts, terrain et cetera” he said.

Incident Control Team  TBW Newsgroup
PROVIDING SUPPORT: The incident management team for the Nangwarry fire led by incident controller Jeff Brooks (right).

“We have got planning, mapping and communication going on here and we all have a pretty fundamental role to play.”

Not being on the fire ground itself all the time can make the job challenging, however Mr Brooks said communication was the key.

“It is challenging at times, but as long as you have got good relationships and the information flow is there, it usually works well,” he said.

“Air support is also crucial, without those guys we certainly would not get the outcomes that we do.”

As New South Wales continues to burn and South Australia counts the losses from horrific fires in the Adelaide Hills and Kangaroo Island over the weekend, Mr Brooks admitted the nation’s firefighting community was deeply impacted.

“It is upsetting to see what is going on across the nation because it impacts everyone,” Mr Brooks said.

“No one likes to see that devastation and there is a lot of people who have been impacted at some stage by fires, including our firefighters, so we are very sympathetic to what goes on out there.”

During Friday’s catastrophic conditions, hundreds of firefighters were required to attend a number of other blazes throughout the South East, the most serious occurring near Coonalpyn.

The fire burned more than 5600 hectares of farmland and a large portion of the Carcuma Conservation Park.

While CFS were still monitoring the blaze, they reported no current threats to any property near the fire ground.

Across the border, a number of fires started in the South West Victoria region as a result of lightning.

They burned more than 1000 hectares of land west of Casterton, around the Dartmoor and Digby areas.

Mr Brooks praised crews across the state and the nation for doing an exceptional job and encouraged other people to get involved.

“We are volunteers and everyone is giving up their own time willingly to be able to defend the communities, which deserves to be recognised,” he said.

“I would encourage anyone who is thinking about becoming a volunteer to get involved, as we have a variety of roles to cater for anyone.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...