Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsState Government 'stuff up' leads to hefty fines and licence losses

State Government ‘stuff up’ leads to hefty fines and licence losses

Craig Medhurst 2[1655] (1)  TBW Newsgroup
FREEWAY FURY: Mount Gambier businessman Craig Medhurst is among a number of South Australian drivers who have lost their licence as a result of State Government changes. A new vehicle classification means all motor vehicles with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of more than 4.5 tonnes are restricted to strict speed and lane limits on the freeway and monitored by cameras.

INDEPENDENT Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell has slammed “unfair and unjust” State Government laws which have resulted in multiple South Australian drivers facing hefty fines and the loss of their driver’s licence.

Tough new laws designed to reduce speeding trucks and buses on a notorious stretch of the South Eastern Freeway have caught hundreds of drivers unaware as new vehicle classifications have come into effect.

Since the laws came into effect in May, all motor vehicles with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of more than 4.5 tonnes are restricted to strict speed and lane limits on the freeway and monitored by cameras.

Penalties include an automatic 6-month loss of licence and a company fine of $25,000.

Mr Bell said individuals driving utilities with a GVM exceeding 4.5 tonne are being caught by the change of legislation and are losing their licence and facing massive fines.

“I know of five Mount Gambier business people who are going to lose their licences due to a State Government stuff-up,” he said.

“This is already impacting jobs and livelihoods across the Limestone Coast and beyond.

“The government has acknowledged the legislation they have introduced is too harsh, yet they will not make amendments retrospective to recognise the people caught up in the aftermath.

“Some tradespeople drive Ford Utilities and under the new laws, these are classified as trucks and are subject to speed and lane restrictions.

Mount Gambier businessman Craig Medhurst was angry after his F-truck vehicle was caught by the changes on a trip to Alice Springs in July.

Tough new laws designed to reduce speeding trucks and buses on a notorious stretch of the South Eastern Freeway have caught hundreds of drivers unaware as new vehicle classifications have come into effect.

Returning home to Glencoe, he was sent a $1096 fine for travelling at 72kph in a 90kph zone near Crafers Hill, an offence which he was not aware also resulted in an automatic six-month suspension of his driver’s licence.

“The fine was for a ‘truck or bus’ exceeding the speed limit by 10kph and I thought I’m not driving a truck,” he said.

“My registration papers said I’m a Ford utility, not a Ford truck.”

“I’m due to lose my licence on Sunday and then I have got even more fines to pay.

“It just beggars belief – our whole system is out of control. The fine is bad enough but the six-month loss of licence borders on ridiculous. It’s the principle of it that stinks.

“I live at Glencoe and I do 1000km a week travelling to forest job sites maintaining machinery. This is going to severely impact my business and customers businesses alike.

“Why should a 4WD recreational vehicle like this come under the same legislation as a B Double truck.”

Mr Medhurst said the signage on the freeway was blatantly inadequate and he had not personally received any correspondence as to the changes, despite the State Government claiming letters had been sent out to every business affected.

The Independent MP said he knew of one business owner who was facing the hefty fine.

Mr Bell said his electorate office was also fielding calls from people over the Victorian border who have been affected by the changes.

“There’s a common theme to all the correspondence and people are telling me they received no notice about these laws coming into effect,” he said.

“If the Minister sent correspondence to all affected owners, how can he be sure they received it? Why didn’t he send the correspondence as registered mail?”

“I understand the need for safety, but these laws are penalising the wrong people.

Mr Bell has worked with SA Best Frank Pangallo in the Upper House to rush amendments through both Houses of Parliament in the last sitting week of the year to address the anomaly, but is disappointed the government will not make the new laws retrospective.

“They have no problem making land tax aggregation legislation retrospective to bring in more revenue for the Government but will not do anything to help those who are facing massive fines and are about to lose their licence,” he said.

“The government needs to admit they have made a mistake and act immediately to fix the problem.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...