Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsSchools eligible for exemption

Schools eligible for exemption

Erica Hurley  TBW Newsgroup
POSITIVE FUTURE: Nangwarry Primary School principal Erica Hurley says the three-year transitional period for Year 7’s into high school will provide parents, schools and children time to adapt to the change.

PARENTS from a select number of schools will have the option to apply for an exemption to keep their Year 7 child in primary education during a three-year transition period.

A number of schools across the Limestone Coast have been selected for the program following the State Government’s extensive consultation with regional communities.

Primary schools located more than 20km from the nearest area or high school are eligible, with the State Government also providing extra funding for schools which will have reduced class numbers due to the change.

Nangwarry Primary School principal Erica Hurley said there was a possibility the small school would lose around eight children with only four enrolments retained following the transition.

However the school leader hoped it would not have a significant impact.

“We have had such a huge growth in learning and the students have a wide range of educational benefits available to them,” she said.

“Enrolments depend on a lot of other things such as employment around the region or whether there are younger families moving to the area.”

Ms Hurley praised the State Government’s support and said the exemption considered each child’s individual needs.

“It also gives both high schools and primary schools time to adjust to the change,” Ms Hurley said.

“It gives parents a choice of whether they believe their child is ready for the transition yet or not.”

Ms Hurley said the community was surprised with the consultation process and said many parents felt as if their voices had been heard.

“Government officials did come to the area and spoke with parents and listened to their concerns at a consultation process,” she said.

“Some people were still unsure about putting a child on the bus to travel so far.

“The response I have had from parents following the release of the report was they were listened to and their concerns were taken on board.”

Ms Hurley said the transition was positive and encouraged parents to focus on the benefits on learning and wellbeing outcomes.

“There is no check box to say a child is ready, but the transition will bring us in line with the rest of Australia,” she said.

“There will always be struggles for small regional schools, but small schools can provide so many opportunities which is why I am here.”

The Year 7 to high school project will provide additional funding directly to country primary schools for extra transport costs for transition activities in 2021 when the double cohorts – Year 6 and 7 – prepare to transition.

Eligible schools will also have additional support for the regular process of updating bus routes in 2021 to ensure the changes are in place for the following year.

Other primary schools eligible for the exemption include Beachport, Frances, Glencoe Central, Kalangadoo, Kongorong, Padthaway, Robe and Tailem Bend.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...