Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsPatients head to Victoria for surgical procedures

Patients head to Victoria for surgical procedures

A COMMUNITY leader has claimed patients are making the 460km round trip to Warrnambool for the very same surgical procedures which are performed at Millicent and District Hospital.

The claim about the 5.5-hour return journey was made by Dr Kevin McGrath when the Millicent and District Health Advisory Council (HAC) annual general meeting was held at Millicent Hospital on Wednesday night.

Dr McGrath is an elected member of Wattle Range Council and has been its nominee to the Millicent HAC for the past five years.

“We should publicise what we do [at Millicent] as the patients do not know,” Dr McGrath said.

He directed his remarks to Millicent Hospital executive officer/director of nursing Michelle de Wit who chaired the meeting in the absence of Millicent HAC presiding member Brenton Dohnt and Limestone Coast Local Health Network chief executive Ngaire Buchanan.

In reply, Ms de Wit said it was a matter for the doctors as to where they referred their patients.

Ms de Wit said the local doctors were informed of what surgical services are available at Millicent Hospital.

Speaking earlier in the meeting, former Millicent Hospital board chairman Don Gilbertson queried the type of day surgery currently being undertaken at Millicent.

“Can what is available be published in the newspaper?” Mr Gilbertson asked.

However, Ms De Wit said the hospital was restricted in what it could published owing to privacy concerns.

She said the Millicent HAC does get some information but no specifics while a full briefing is provided to the new board of the Limestone Coast Local Health Network.

According to Ms de Wit, there is an unauthorised Millicent Hospital presence on a social media platform.

Millicent HAC member Jeniene Davis said the surgical services offered at Millicent Hospital are listed on an official website.

This states that oral and general surgery along with urology and gynaecology are undertaken at Millicent.

Before the scrapping of the Millicent Hospital board as part of new legislated changes over a decade ago, extensive information about operations and surgeons was published in its annual report.

Each year, the names, qualifications and specialities were published of the visiting doctors, surgeons and other specialists.

The position of local medical representative on the HAC has never been filled.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...