Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsWattle Range land sale shelved

Wattle Range land sale shelved

Beachport Lobbyists   TBW Newsgroup
HAVING A SAY: Beachport residents Terry and Karen Nancarrow, Rosemary and Doug Gillespie, Doug and Kaye Bignell and Denise and Jim Hamilton sat in the public gallery of the Millicent council chambers on Tuesday night as Wattle Range Council backflipped on plans to sell vacant land. Picture: J.L. “FRED” SMITH

“PEOPLE power” has apparently prompted Wattle Range Council to abandon the proposed sale of public land in the centre of Beachport.

The decision was made after a lengthy debate and before a packed public gallery of Beachport residents at Tuesday’s monthly council meeting in Millicent.

Instead of continuing the process for the possible sale of two vacant Railway Terrace blocks, council will seek further community input about the future of the prime site.

The decision has been welcomed by Beachport resident Karen Nancarrow who opposed the sale proposal in a letter to council, as well as a five-minute verbal presentation at Tuesday’s meeting.

According to Ms Nancarrow, there were already vacant shops in Beachport and the land in question could be improved with sealing and the addition of picnic tables.

Fellow seaside residents Guy and Sue Wheal also wrote to council and addressed the meeting.

They urged further public consultation and suggested a public meeting be called to canvass ideas.

Speaking to The South Eastern Times outside the meeting, Ms Nancarrow said she was happy with the outcome.

“This will bring the community together,” Ms Nancarrow said.

“We can come up with ideas for the land which will be beneficial for the community.”

The possible sale of the land had led to community backlash at Beachport.

Among the prominent seaside groups to oppose the sale were the Beachport National Trust and the Lions Club of Beachport and Rivoli Bay.

A protest petition attracted over 90 signatures while 12 letters objecting to the sale were sent to council.

Only four letters from local residents in support of the sale were received.

After debate involving councillors and staff, the meeting endorsed the council staff recommendation to cease the preliminary measures to sell the land.

Following a successful motion moved by Councillor John Drew, council will now examine options for the area with funding possibly to come in the next 2020/21 budget.

“I want to see something exciting happen,” Cr Drew said.

His motion was seconded by deputy mayor Cr Moira Neagle who commended the Beachport community for taking part in the consultation to date.

According to Cr Dale Price, the land sale issue had galvanised the Beachport community into action in a manner similar to when the Nangwarry swimming pool was set to be closed.

“This makes sense and now the Beachport community can come up with plans,” Cr Price said.

Earlier in the debate, Cr Sharon Cox had moved a motion to let the matter lie on the table until February 2020 to allow further consultation with members of the Beachport community about their preferred options for the use of the land.

Cr Cox later withdrew her motion.

She also referred to one letter received by council during the consultation period.

“It was insulting as it said council was being deceitful as it was doing the consultation when community members were away,” Cr Cox said.

“I found it very disappointing.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...