Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsDangerous intersection denied blackspot funding

Dangerous intersection denied blackspot funding

Jane Featherstone 5449 TBW Newsgroup
AT THE CROSSROADS: Grant District Council acting chief executive officer Jane Fetherstonhaugh hopes blackspot funding can be secured at this notorious junction at Yahl, which has been the site of a number of car crashes.

GRANT District Council has been overlooked for national black spot funding to upgrade a potentially dangerous intersection at Yahl.

It is understood the application to upgrade the junction of Yahl and Ruwoldt roads was rated below other projects.

The project – which moots the creation of a staggered T-junction – will now be considered by the State Government funding this financial year.

Speaking at a recent council meeting, works manager Adrian Schutz said the funding application first went to the Federal Government for consideration.

He said it had now been “rolled over” to the state black spot funding program application pool.

“That is where the application is at the minute,” Mr Schutz said.

“It is disappointing, we went to the road conference last year and (the Federal Government) got up there and spoke about regional councils not putting in for black spot funding applications.

“But when you do put them in there, you do not seem to get them.”

Mr Schutz said applications included the number of fatalities at the locality.

“You are either reactive or proactive. If you are reactive you are going to have had fatalities to even qualify, but if you are proactive you get a road safety audit to actually indicate what needs to be done to the junction to prevent accidents from happening,” he said.

The works manager said a number of accidents had been recorded at the junction of Yahl and Ruwoldt roads.

“I am not sure how (the government) chooses them because we have had black spot funding for half a dozen that are similar to this junction,” the council employee revealed.

He said Kennedy Avenue as well as the Yahl and Square Mile roads intersection and the junction at Caroline near the saleyards were similar.

“They are exactly the same situation, but basically the same application is not successful.”

Mr Schutz questioned whether council had ever been awarded federal black spot funding, which paid 100pc of the works.

He said council would need to earmark one-third of the cost of the upgrade if it was successful under the state funding program.

Meanwhile, Mayor Richard Sage flagged bringing up the issue of black funding with Barker MP Tony Pasin.

“Direct money to local government needs to be at the forefront,” Mr Sage said.

He suggested a campaign was needed to highlight the state of the region’s roads to gain more funding, such as use of videos.

Mr Sage particularly highlighted Glenelg River Road as a busy arterial route that needed funding.

“It is probably an accident waiting to happen,” the civic leader said.

He claimed “B-doubles were roaring up behind cars” that wanted to turn into places such as The Barn.

Adding to the discussion, Mr Schutz said Eight Mile Creek was a particularly poor road.

“This is one of the worst,” he added.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...