Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsFire volunteers kept busy

Fire volunteers kept busy

ROADSIDE BLAZE: A motorist travelling on the Dukes Highway took these pictures of the fire, which burned on the roadside five kilometres from Keith on Friday.

COUNTRY Fire Service (CFS) volunteers in the region were busy over the weekend as they battled several serious grass fires, which threatened homes near Keith and Naracoorte.

The first fire was reported at around 12.30pm on Friday, with crews responding to the blaze, which was located five kilometres from the township of Keith.

Multiple fires were then reported along the Dukes Highway between Coombe and Keith and more than 70 CFS firefighters were assisted by Department of Environment and Water crews and 50 private farm fire units.

The fire posed a threat to local communities for around three hours, with Watch and Act messages issued throughout the afternoon.

The fire jumped the Dukes Highway causing a section of the road between Coombe and Keith to be closed by emergency services while they fought the blaze.

At around 3.20pm, the CFS announced the threat posed by the fire had reduced and the road was re-opened to traffic.

However, smoke caused visibility problems for drivers in the area for much of the afternoon.

Mount Gambier Police officer in charge Senior Sergeant Chris King said early indications suggested the fires were caused by a vehicle.

At 11.45am on Sunday, CFS crews were alerted to a grass fire, which was burning on a property located on Pistol Road in Naracoorte.

SMOKE DANGER: Visibility was impaired for motorists on the Dukes Highway forcing emergency services to shut a section of the road, while they worked to bring the fires under control.

A total of 12 trucks carrying 65 crew attended the fire, which threatened two nearby homes and property.

Crews were supported by four fixed-wing bombers, which undertook tactical drops on the fireground.

A CFS spokesperson said due to the quick action of CFS crews, the two houses were saved.

“However, five hectares of land, two sheds, a vehicle and a caravan were destroyed, with the damage bill estimated in excess of $100,000,” the CFS spokesperson said.

At around 5pm, crews announced the fire had been contained, however some assets and structures in the area continued to smoulder throughout the evening.

Police are conducting investigations into the fire, which they believe started by the use of an angle grinder.

They are following up with the occupant of the property as part of their investigation.

With more unfavourable weather conditions expected this week, police are reminding the community of their obligations and restrictions that apply during fire danger season.

For more information on what you can and cannot do during the Fire Danger season go to the CFS website.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...