Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsRec centre ball in state government court after historic poll

Rec centre ball in state government court after historic poll

THE State Government is currently in the process of considering Mount Gambier City Council’s proposal for its regional communtiy and recreation hub, Premier Steven Marshall has said.

Premier Marshall hailed Wednesday afternoon’s meeting with Mayor Lynette Martin and council chief executive Mark McShane on the proposed $39.1m facility as “positive and informative”.

Ms Martin and the outgoing Mr McShane met with the state leader at his Adelaide office following the results of the community poll which saw an overwhelming “yes” for the project.

Construction of the project hinges on a $15m State Government contribution to match the $15m earmarked by the Federal Government under the Building Better Regions Fund and council’s $9.1m.

A condition of the Federal Government grant requires council to secure a funding agreement within two weeks.

Premier Marshall said the Liberal Government had a renewed focus on the regions, which included “helping communities build better facilities”.

Ms Martin echoed the leader’s positive meeting sentiments, adding the Premier was aware of the tight deadline regarding a funding commitment.

“I think Mark McShane and I put a compelling business case forward,” she said.

“Council has to have a full business case put forward to the Federal Government by January 24 and Premier Marshall was very understanding of that.”

Earlier this week, Barker MP Tony Pasin said he looked forward to his state counterparts matching the Federal funding.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...