Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsState Government rejects sports investment 'cost shifting' claims

State Government rejects sports investment ‘cost shifting’ claims

CUTS DEFENDED: Sports Minister Corey Wingard has denied changes to sport facility funding, which will now require councils and clubs to fund 50pc of project costs, seeks to cost shift from state to local government. The minister met with key stakeholders to discuss an ambitious upgrade for the Kalangadoo War Memorial and Sports Park after cutting a funding program that may have provided $313,000 to the project cost.
SPORT and Recreation Minister Corey Wingard has rejected claims the State Government’s new sporting facilities fund seeks to “cost shift” to local councils.

Mr Wingard met with key stakeholders at the Kalangadoo War Memorial and Sports Park earlier this week to discuss an ambitious upgrade to facilities a month after cutting sports facility funding.

The Kalangadoo club had applied for $313,000 under the previous State Government’s program – or 75pc of the total project cost – to fund a new changeroom area.

Ahead of September’s State Budget, the government announced it was scrapping the Female Facilities Program – which funds new or upgraded female sports changerooms and other facilities – and replacing it with another program.

The Liberal State Government’s program will require clubs and councils to provide at least 50pc of the project costs, compared to 25pc under the former program.

Mr Wingard rejected the new program would exert additional pressures on councils due to the increased financial contribution required.

“Most of these projects are actually on council land and they are council facilities,” he said.

“It is a 50/50 project so councils and communities will buy in and that way we know we are delivering the projects they want.

“If councils are keen on the projects, they will invest in them.

“We want to buy into projects that councils are keen to invest in, clubs are keen to invest in and the sports we know will be beneficial for growing participation and growing community engagement in that area.”

Mr Wingard did not address whether councils had been consulted before the change in funding make up, instead saying additional funds had been secured from the AFL, Cricket Australia and SACA.

Deputy Leader of the Opposition in the Legislative Council Clare Scriven said it was disappointing Mr Wingard had not announced the reinstatement of the former Labor administration’s program during his recent visit.

“The community campaign to support this club forced the Minister to come and see the poor facilities this week, but he is still not offering any solution,” she said.

“He talks about alternative funding, but that alternative involves cost-shifting to the local council.

“Wattle Range Council has already committed $65,000 to the project and the local community has raised $40,000, but the government is now saying they must raise more than another $100,000.
“It is just not viable for the community club and local council to do that.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...