Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews ExtraPenola bypass a priority despite tight budget

Penola bypass a priority despite tight budget

DESPITE forewarning of a tough first budget, Treasurer Rob Lucas has reiterated the State Liberals’ election pledge to complete the Penola Bypass.

Mr Lucas said the long-awaited stage two works on the town’s main street detour was a priority of the new government and would be included in the upcoming state budget, to be revealed next month.

Last week, Mr Lucas announced a potential 75pc increase in government energy costs from $45m to $106m stemming from a “rushed deal” struck by the former Labor Government, but said it would not impact on the delivery of the Liberals’ election pledges.

“Completing the bypass was one of the election promises that was made and we will keep that election promise,” he said.

“There are issues around the timing of that, but we will announce the timing in the budget.”

Mr Lucas flagged projects and programs funded under the previous Labor administration would be under the axe.

Ahead of the state election, the Liberal Party committed to completing the project through a $4.9m contribution to the Federal Government’s existing $9m.

The first and southern stage of the bypass was completed in 2015, with the former Labor State Government funding the 2.5km section between Robe Road and the Riddoch Highway.

The Federal Government’s contribution for stage two, which was pledged in 2015 as part of the South Australian Regional Roads Package, was rejected by the previous State Government.

Wattle Range Mayor Peter Gandolfi said the funding contribution was a significant milestone in the progression of the bypass.

“It is good news the State Government has announced it will commit to completing the bypass and that work will start this financial year,” he said.

“It has been a long time coming, it has been hard fought for and it will improve the safety and amenity of those travelling through Penola and those living in the township.”

However, Barker MP Tony Pasin, who secured the Federal Government’s contribution, said he along with his country constituents would be “very disappointed” if the total amount pledged by his state colleagues was not included in the upcoming budget.

“I have ensured the federal funding component of $9m for this project, which I initially fought so hard to secure, has remained on the table despite the former State Labor Government’s refusal to accept it,” he said.

“The State Liberal Party made an election commitment to complete the bypass using this Federal Government funding.

“I expect as they are now in government, the state’s component of the funding will be included in the September state budget for the coming financial year.

“This is a project that has been discussed for over 50 years.

“To delay it any further would be bitterly disappointing.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...