Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsRelief fund to provide farmer drought support

Relief fund to provide farmer drought support

GIVING SUPPORT: Grant District elected member and Kongorong farmer Barry Kuhl – along with his fellow councillors – has thrown his support behind the need to help drought-stricken farmers in New South Wales and Queensland. While donating hay was discussed, there were concerns there was not enough available feedstock available in the region. Picture: TODD LEWIS

GRANT District Council is rallying behind drought-stricken farming communities in New South Wales and Victoria with plans under way to donate money from its disaster relief fund.

With the plight of farmers dominating news bulletins across Australia, the rural council this week mooted siphoning some money from the $170,000 pool to help a community in need.

Council’s disaster relief fund was established in the aftermath of the devastating Ash Wednesday bushfires, which swept through Tarpeena and surrounding districts.

The 1983 fires claimed the lives of 14 people in the region, destroying hundreds of homes.

The former Bond Corporation donated two houses in Tarpeena to provide housing on a concessional basis for bushfire victims.

These properties were later sold with the proceeds deposited into a disaster relief fund.

Council has previously allocated funds for community infrastructure projects in fire-ravaged regions.

At this week’s council meeting, elected members threw their support behind the need to allocate some funds for drought-affected communities.

While Mayor Richard Sage mooted the funds could be used to coordinate transport of donated hay interstate, a number of elected members questioned whether the region had the feedstock available.

“That would be a good start with the local community coming together, including the saleyards and the agents, to put hay on trucks,” Mr Sage said.

But Cr Barry Kuhl – who farms at Kongorong – raised questions over whether there was enough hay available to put on trucks.

“With the fires in the Western District of Victoria earlier this year and farmers starting to shut paddocks up and hay stocks low, we are probably better off looking at a financial contribution,” he said.

Cr Alan Hill – who raised the issue at council – said council should use its disaster fund to help drought-affected communities.

“There is a lot of money sitting there … and I would like to see our chief executive officer liaise with a local government organisation in New South Wales or Queensland,” Cr Hill said.

“Something needs to come back to council very quickly to provide us with some information about what way this council should go.”

But he said it was vital 100pc of the donation went towards to an organisation assisting drought-stricken farmers.

Cr Shirley Little warned she did not want the money used for administration for a community organisation, but to make a difference on the ground.

A report to council could be tabled in two weeks.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Candidate questions

More News

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...

Enviable winning strike rates

ANY jockey who can have a winning strike rate around the 30 per cent mark would take that any time of the week. The...

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...