Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeNews ExtraForestry regulator allays over-harvest fears

Forestry regulator allays over-harvest fears

SUSTAINABILITY FOCUS: Responsible Wood chief executive officer Simon Dorries shows the organisation’s logo, which is used on wood products that have sustainability certification. Picture: SANDRA MORELLO

THE national forest sustainability regulator has dismissed fears regional foresters are “abusing” the plantation estate through over-harvesting.

Australian Forestry Standard Ltd – trading as Responsible Wood – has revealed no forestry owners were identified as over-cutting the forestry estate during its intensive audit process.

Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell – who attended the briefing by Responsible Wood in Mount Gambier – questioned the sustainability of the forestry estate given the upswing in harvesting rates and export boon out of the Port of Portland.

“One of the concerns from the community is there is over-cutting going on in the forests and in 50 to 60 years time that volume will not be there for processors,” Mr Bell told the forum.

Responsible Wood chief executive officer Simon Dorries said he was not aware of any companies in the region that had been identified in the auditing process of over-cutting their estates.

He said all forestry companies had to calculate their “sustainable yield” and this was audited.

“Over time they have to show they are not taking more wood than the forests can deliver,” Mr Dorries said.

Mr Dorries said there appeared to be “a lot of misunderstanding”.

“One of the challenges is a lot of what is being exported are log sizes and quality of grades that are very difficult for local processors to use,” Mr Dorries told The Border Watch.

He said the audit process ensured the foresters were not “taking more wood than the forests can give”.

“The forest is not being abused, they (companies) are not dropping the rotational age substantially. It has gone back a little bit, but probably to a more normal level compared with other parts of Australia.

“The other extreme is everybody making huge losses. I do not think anybody wants to see that.”

While conceding A-grade log was being exported in recent years, he said OneFortyOne had now stopped exporting those grades.

“The fact is as a grower they would much rather have a successful local customer rather than going through the hassle of putting wood on a boat and ship it to China,” Mr Dorries said.

“Some of these things are lucrative and they are not selling the top grades to China. Most of what is exported are grades that have limited use in Australia.”

Responsible Wood – which was invited to the region by OneFortyOne – writes the Australian standards for sustainable forest management.

This includes all wood products through the supply chain and the certification of forests.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...