Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsFamily loses $10,000 bail guarantee

Family loses $10,000 bail guarantee

A MOUNT Gambier man who breached home detention bail has cost his parents $10,000 and will also spend an indefinite amount of time in prison while he awaits trial in the Mount Gambier Magistrates Court.

Jamahl David von Stanke, 42, appeared in court via video-link on Tuesday to be sentenced for various other charges he had pleaded guilty to at an earlier hearing.

Four of the charges related to breaching home detention bail by taking drugs, having a protected person stay with him in a caravan at the premises where he was residing and not moving the caravan from the property.

Von Stanke was granted bail to live at his parents address provided his mother provide a $10,000 cash guarantee to the court, along with a further $10,000 cash surety.

A local solicitor for the defendant’s mother attempted to argue the parents “could not have done much more” to ensure Von Stanke complied with bail.

Magistrate Teresa Anderson disagreed, stating the defendant should not have been living in a caravan in the backyard where they could not monitor who was coming in and out.

The solicitor conceded the $10,000 surety to the court on behalf of the parents on the agreed basis that no forfeiture would be made for the further $10,000 guarantee.

As well as the breaches of bail, Von Stanke was also charged with two counts of drug driving, which occurred on November 7 and 11.

On the first occasion he tested positive to methamphetamine and on the second occasion tested positive to both cannabis and ice.

He was also charged with a further count of breaching the intervention order because he was found in company with a protected person in early January.

The defendant’s lawyer said their client had been provided with a document by the protected person, which he thought meant they could be together.

“She informed him that she had set aside the intervention order,” the defendant’s lawyer said.

Magistrate Anderson said it was concerning Von Stanke was willing to breach the intervention order and bail when his parents stood to lose $20,000.

She sentenced Von Stanke to five weeks imprisonment for the offending, backdated to start on January 29.

Magistrate Anderson indicated the defendant would be remanded in custody beyond that sentence for the assault charges for which he was originally granted home detention bail.

That matter is listed for trial on April 12.

Court costs were also ordered.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...