Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsCautious approach

Cautious approach

POSSIBLE RIVAL: A Sharp Airlines passenger plane.

A REGIONAL passenger airline that operates over the Victorian border says it is open to new opportunities to expand its services into other airports.

Sharp Airlines – which operates a passenger service to Melbourne from Portland and Hamilton – yesterday did not rule out investigating options at Mount Gambier Airport.

“We have an open mind to any new opportunities,” Sharp Airlines chief executive officer Dallas Hay told The Border Watch yesterday.

His comments come amid a growing community backlash against Regional Express in Mount Gambier over claims of high airfares and unreliable flight scheduling.

Member for Mount Gambier Troy Bell announced last week he would “boycott” using Rex due to cancellations and customer service concerns.

Mr Hay – who worked for Mount Gambier’s O’Connor Airlines, which collapsed in 2007 – said Sharp Airlines had been operating in the wider region for “many years”.

But he said a second airline establishing at the Mount Gambier Airport would need long-term commitment from the regional community.

“We do look at opportunities … but they have to be viable,” Mr Hay warned.

He revealed the average price between Melbourne and Portland or Hamilton on Sharp Airlines was $125 one way.

“We provide the best service and economic fares,” Mr Hay said.

He warned a second airline would not set up at Mount Gambier if there was a chance the community would abandon it if the other carrier dramatically dropped prices.

“O’Connor Airlines was a great family-run business that was run out of town – it received no support from the community,” Mr Hay said.

“Any airline would need tangible and measurable support.”

He warned no carrier would set up an operation at the Mount Gambier Airport based just on “hearsay”.

“It needs to much more than that … the Mount Gambier community needs to reflect on this,” Mr Hay said.

He said the demise of O’Connor Airlines had been to the “detriment” of Mount Gambier.

Explaining he was not targeting any criticism towards Rex, he said often airlines dropped prices when competition arrived.

Grant District Council chief executive officer Trevor Smart said council would encourage new opportunities at the airport.

While council had held discussions with other airlines such as QantasLink, he said no carrier had made a formal proposal at this stage.

“We try to be ready for when a willing partner comes along,” he said.

The council executive said patronage had “stabilised” but was well below the 117,000 passengers recorded when there were two carriers at the airport.

Mr Smart said these numbers started “disappearing” following the collapse of O’Connor Airlines.

Moreover, council is keen to assess the data being compiled through the Mount Gambier Chamber of Commerce airport survey of regional businesses.

The chamber has had a “strong” response to its survey that was sent to nearly 400 business operators.

Meanwhile, Mr Bell said he was disappointed with Rex’s reply to his concerns aired in The Border Watch and sent to the carrier last week.

“We have taken note of your letter to Rex dated November 21, in addition to your comments made to The Border Watch both relating to the reliability of Rex and our customer service,” the Rex statement said.

“We would like to confirm your intention to ‘boycott’ Rex and if you wish to proceed we will help to facilitate your request.”
The Border Watch also sought comment from QantasLink.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...