Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsNativity display theft disappoints

Nativity display theft disappoints

BRAZEN THEFT: Millicent Men’s Shed members Tony Glowacki and Chris Mathias were left totally disgusted after the theft of a doll representing baby Jesus over the weekend.

COMMUNITY members were left “totally disgusted” over the weekend after the theft of baby Jesus from an outdoor nativity display at the Millicent Rotunda.

Millicent Men’s Shed chair Chris Mathias made the unsavoury discovery on Saturday afternoon, just one hour before the Millicent Lights Up event.

“We discovered it when we came up tonight and fortunately Marg Chapple came forward with a replacement doll at the last minute,” he said.

“The wire at the top of the scene had been pulled down, but there was no other damage to the structure.

“They would have had to manipulate the doll up over the wire, pull the wire down and drag it out by its feet.”

The nativity scene was constructed by the Millicent Men’s Shed in conjunction with Millicent North Primary School students and debuted during last year’s Christmas season.

Mr Mathias said the group was disgusted by the theft of the religious icon.

“It is a very low act, that sort of scene is set up to celebrate Christmas and it means a lot to members of the community,” he said.

“If whoever took the doll wants to return it, we are asking them to drop it off at the Men’s Shed, no questions asked.

“It does belong to Bruce Clayson’s, wife who kindly lent it to us for the display.

“Now we have to explain that it has disappeared.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

BESS project location rejection

THE District Council of Grant has formally opposed the location of a battery energy storage system (BESS). Elected members discussed at large its stance...

Turner awarded

More News

Precision and compliance

AllBuildSA knows that precision matters when it comes to disability housing, which is why they deliver specialist, NDIS-compliant home modifications designed to support clinical...

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...