Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomePoliceRegional road safety challenge

Regional road safety challenge

FATALITY FREE: With 32 fatalities already on South Australian roads this year, Mount Gambier paramedic Joe Renko does not want to attend any fatal accidents in the South East. Picture: TODD LEWIS

LOCAL emergency services will support the Australian Road Safety Foundation (ARSF) as they continue to drive a clear message to drive down the road toll
during Fatality Free Friday tomorrow.

The nation’s largest community road safety initiative advocates that local road users have a vital role to play in reducing the road toll, with 89 South Australian lives lost last year in crashes.

Mount Gambier Ambulance Service regional team leader paramedic Joe Renko hopes the initiative tomorrow can send a clear message to the community about being safe on the roads.

“It’s a great initiative as it really highlights the importance for people to drive safely and take care to avoid any serious accidents,” Mr Renko said.

“As an ambulance service, we never want to be called out to any serious road accidents, particularly those that are fatal.”

Mount Gambier Police Senior Sergeant Chris King said it would be “business as usual” for local patrols as they are always 100pc committed to enforcing road safety.

“Each month as a police force, we always have a specific focus on something that might cause road accidents and this month that was seatbelts,” Snr Sgt King said.

“We are disappointed with the number of drivers who continue to ignore road rules, such as not wearing a seatbelt.”

Snr Sgt King said police are always focusing on the “fatal five” to try to prevent serious accidents.

“The fatal five consists of distraction, speeding, dangerous road users, seatbelts and drink and drug driving,” he said.

ARSF chief executive Russell White said reducing the tragic loss of life on the roads can only stem from peer pressure and not authorities dictating road laws.

“Reducing the death toll on our roads must come from community action and not just from the authorities dictating road laws,” he said.

Some damning statistics released by the ARSF have highlighted not only the irresponsible behaviour of drivers, but also those who sit idly by and allow stupidity to continue.

Around 44pc of South Australians do not ask speeding friends or family members to slow down and 46pc of passengers riding with a texting taxi, Uber or professional driver will not ask them to put their phone away.

“We need to create a culture where we call each other out on bad behaviour behind the wheel, instead of shuffling the responsibility onto others,” Mr White said.

“Obviously nobody goes out looking to be in a road crash, but not everyone goes out deliberately looking to avoid one either and that is evident every time someone speeds, takes a risk on the road, or uses their mobile phone,” he said.

Mr White implored local road users to take the digital road safety pledge and share their commitment via social media to spread awareness about Fatality Free Friday.

“We urge every motorist, passenger, cyclist and pedestrian to visit our website to pledge their support for this vital community initiative, then change their profile picture on Facebook and Twitter to let everyone know they are serious about change,” Mr White said.

While a clear message needs to be sent, Mr White said it is also important to reflect and respect people’s loved ones who have passed away as a result of a road accident.

“This Fatality Free Friday, we ask everyone to spare a thought for the loved ones left behind after a fatal road crash for whom there are constant daily reminders,” Mr White said.

“The letters that still arrive addressed to the person who lost their life, sitting in the mailbox as a cruel testament to the senseless loss that will forever leave its scar.”

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Turner awarded

Australian Bluegum Plantations (ABP) announced silviculture forester Neil Turner as the 2025 recipient of the John Kiely Award, recognising his outstanding leadership and perseverance...

Silas a winner

More News

Vic and SA to clash in epic showdown

Familiar football faces will get their boots back onto home soil as Glenelg Football Club (SANFL) and Coburg Football Club (VFL) bring a major...

Help ID mystery photo

MOUNT Gambier History Group is hoping locals can help name people in a large number of photos. By the looks, this photo was taken at...

Silas a winner

This week 28 players took part in the Millicent Bowls Club 2-4-2 game. The winning team for this week was John Silas from the...

Branxholme rodeo mega pic gallery

THE 12th Branxholme Rodeo has put on a top show for its spectators with riders coming from South Australia, and New South Wales to...

Pentanque tournament a hit

More than 60 teams attended the 24th Annual “Coonawarra Vignerons Classic Clash” Petanque Tournament held over the 14 and 15 February and despite the...

Trophy goes to Harkness and Coperman

At Robe the weather was fine and the field was 82. In First Div the very predictable local, Gordie Fleming won with 36 points,...

Candidate questions

Each week SA Today has posed questions to current candidates for the seat of MacKillop . This week's question was around coastal erosion and infrastructure...

Victory for Varcoe pair

On Sunday the 15 February, 12 couples took part in the Annual Mixed Pairs competition. Each game, including the Grand Final, was played over...

Honour the role of women in the country

A fifth-generation sheep farmer, an occupational therapist, an agtech entrepreneur and a country vet are the 2026 Victorian AgriFutures Rural Women’s Award finalists. The award...

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...