Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeLocal NewsHospital improvements continue

Hospital improvements continue

MAKING HEADWAY: Country Health SA regional director Jayne Downs says Mount Gambier Hospital has made significant progress.

COUNTRY Health SA regional director Jayne Downs said the Mount Gambier Hospital has made “significant” progress in building the confidence and skills of junior staff as well the recruitment of doctors.

The regional health chief was this week responding to a list of questions posed by The Border Watch.

The questions included how many of the 22 recommendations from the independent review had been implemented at the hospital.

Other question related to claims that nurses were regularly performing double shifts and that there was a shortfall in senior doctors.

In a statement, Ms Downs described the hospital as supportive of its hard working staff and said it was a “safe and welcoming place” for patients.

“We are continuing to make improvements in our services and since the review we have recruited four resident medical officers in the emergency department (ED) team, additional registered nurses to provide the appropriate ED coverage and a full-time ED nurse educator,” Ms Downs said.

“We are also in the final stages of recruiting more ED consultants and have successfully recruited a full-time obstetrician gynaecologist, who starts in December, and a full-time paediatrician, who started last week.”

Ms Downs said the hospital was also “continuing” to recruit more medical officers with the right mix of seniority to fill all vacant posts including the additional ward and ED shifts funded in the review, and two full time physicians.

“We are continuing discussions with managers, staff and the Health Advisory Council about how we can improve our hospital and the care we provide for the people of Mount Gambier,” she said.

Any vacant medical posts, including senior medical posts in the emergency department, are covered by temporary doctors who work as part of the team.

Ms Downs’ statement did not respond to claims nurses were being pressured to perform double shifts and the low morale among the workforce.

Mount Gambier Hospital announced sweeping changes and a nearly $540,000 boost to its doctor workforce early this year following the independent review into the health facility.

Country Health SA accepted a staggering 22 recommendations that focuses on increasing staff, improving recruitment practices and boosting patient safety.

The probe – undertaken by two senior SA Health staff – centred on patient care and flow at the hospital’s emergency department, which was embroiled in a workforce crisis.

The key recommendations handed down included the need for an electronic patient tracking system and implementation of a staffing escalation process during increased activity.

Other key changes included the recruitment of “at least” two medical registrars and another a full-time physician “as soon as possible”.

The probe revealed the ED was not meeting the National Emergency Access Target, with the facility only averaging 74pc last year.

In fact, the report questioned whether the targets were being “artificially improved” due to patient categorisation.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Hear to Entertain across the region

Friday, February 20 Dave Blackett, The Commercial Hotel, Mount Gambier/Berrin, 8pm Macey Singles Launch, TV Therapy, Stonewalls, The Bellum Hotel, Mount Schank, 8.30pm Daniel Formosa + Imahgen...
More News

Southern Ports tennis continues through summer

WITH a range of social events across the Limestone Coast, team captains of the Southern Ports Tennis Association managed to muster some teams for...

LSEBA Round 16 holds mixed results

THE Lower South East Bowls Association played Round 16 to a range of mixed results spread through the three divisions last weekend. In Division 1,...

Good News for You: Communication – on the grow

Unshaken, and not stirred, James Bond calmly ignored the increasing tension and reached for his car phone, which briefly stole the show and made...

Long distance fight for justice

A Canadian woman who was groomed online by a Naracoorte man as a teenager is now fighting for change, as her perpetrator lives his...

Naracoorte Caves promise

THE Naracoorte Caves will receive a massive cash injection should the state's Liberal Party be successful next month. The Liberal Party has announced it...

Anglers on a roll this summer

A pleasant weekend of weather in the south east allowed plenty of anglers the opportunity to wet a line and between the sea, the...

Centrals overpower Federals in tough clash

CENTRAL'S Division 1 offence exploded for 16 runs last Friday, burying Federals in a lop-sided road victory. The visitors came out swinging from the very...

MGDTA reclaim Baker and Ey Shields

THE Mount Gambier District Tennis Association (MGDTA) have reclaimed the Baker and Ey Shields in the interleague competition against the Southern Ports Tennis Association...

Concordes White take out Concordes United

IN the final Valentine’s Day clash of the round, the Concordes sister sides went head-to-head for end-of-season bragging rights at least until they meet...

Bandits get it done against Demons

IN a cracking game between top of the ladder Demons and Bandits, the crowd had an exciting game to watch. After a tight few...