GOLD CUP RACE ACTION RETURNS TO ALLAN SCOTT GLENBURNIE RACECOURSE
Mount Gambier Racing Club general manager Brett Watson
THE Scott Group of Companies Mount Gambier Gold Cup is the biggest event on our calendar and this year is one for the history books as it is the first since the $3.3m Allan Scott Glenburnie Racecourse upgrade was completed.
It has been a long road to get the track ready for racing, but after the success of our first meeting on Friday we are confident it was worth the wait.
Racing proved even and the track performed how we expected, which is a huge positive heading into our feature race event of the year.
Gold Cup festivities kicked-off with the cocktail party on Saturday night in the newly-renovated members area.
The event was well-supported and those in attendance enjoyed quality food and entertainment.
In addition, the event raised $3080 for the LifeChanger Foundation, a not-for-profit organisation supporting at-risk youth in our community.
The Bernie Flood Conveyancing Calcutta will be held on May 9 at The Gambier Hotel from 8pm.
Friday, May 10, is the day not to be missed and tickets are available for a number of marquee packages, but they will sell fast so get in quick if you have not already purchased a ticket.
An exciting racing program is set for the day, including the Scott Group of Companies Gold Cup – the race that stops Mount Gambier, with prize money totalling $50,000.
Fashions on the Field always draws a large number of competitors all vying for an attractive pool of prizes.
Thank you to County Grey Menswear and Redgum Country for their support of the Fashions on the Field.
If you only go out once a year, this is the day to do it – many describe it as the best day on the city’s social calendar and you do not want to miss this history-making event.
The new track and return of the event after an 18-month lay-off has plenty of tongues wagging and we are excited for it to potentially be bigger than ever.
This will be the last winter cup before we permanently move the event to a summer format in December.
It is a bit of a last hurrah in one way.
So, get your friends, family or colleagues together and make a day of it with plenty of quality racing and fashion to enjoy.
This year is the first time we are offering online general admission tickets – available for $15 – which is a discount of $5 compared to $20 on race day.
Visit www.mountgambierracing.com.au to purchase.
I look forward to seeing everyone at the lead up events and on race day.
TALENTED MAKEUP ARTISTS TO GET RACE GOERS GLOWING
Vanity Makeup Bar and Body Lounge
MAKE-UP mastermind Mel Von Stanke of Vanity Make-Up Bar and Body Lounge has shared her top tips to help create the ultimate trackside look.
Mel said the goal for race day make-up was to achieve a professional, polished look to last all day – matte skin and perfectly applied lipstick from the first race to sunset.
“This year is the last chance to opt for classic winter fashion and suits are on trend around the country at our biggest autumn race meets,” Mel said.
“Classic hats, leather gloves and small but bold bags and clutches are the perfect accessory.
“Make-up is an extension of fashion – in many ways also the perfect accessory, which means it must work with the rest of your look.
“To achieve your own perfect Gold Cup style, now is a great time to call in and top up your make-up collection with some fun new eyeshadows and lip colours to give your old favourites a refresh.”
From jewel eyeshadows to perfect blushes and deliciously deep long lasting INGLOT HD Matte Lip Tints, the team at Vanity offer professional advice for the perfect addition to your make-up bag.
“We are seeing the return of some of the classic looks like a smokey eye or velvety lips which are paired with a minimal make-up look,” Mel said.
“We stock the amazing range of Smiink strip lashes.
“Our girls can give you tips on how to apply yourself to add volume and definition to eyes and boost length.
“There are several great products available to create the perfect brow and once again, do not be afraid to come in and talk to our staff about what product would be best suited to enhance your brows.”
MEL’S TOP MAKEUP HINTS AND TIPS
1. Always use a primer before you apply foundation to hold make-up longer.
2. The night before the races, give your lips a hydrating treatment with a good lip balm.
3. A polished brow makes a sophisticated statement and requires minimal touching up.
4. Use good quality make-up brushes to maximise the potential of your make-up.
5. False lashes can really complete your look – always apply last to avoid spilling make-up on them.
6. Decide which features to focus on and avoid overdoing it – either bold eyes and nude lips or bold lips with subtle eyes.
WINTER FASHIONS SET TO IMPRESS WITH MEN’S AND WOMEN’S OUTFITS PROVIDING THE PERFECT RACE DAY LOOK
RACING in the Blue Lake city has officially returned with the Mount Gambier Gold Cup set for racing on May 10 with fashion lovers across the Limestone Coast readying their racewear for the big event.
Birdie Blue owner Felicia Jones is urging men and women looking to show off their fashion flair to head in store soon and secure their outfit.
“The event is coming up quickly with women – and men – already coming in looking for the perfect outfit,” she said.
“It is exciting to be getting back into racing but also having that extra fashion event to get all dressed up for.
“With the last Gold Cup held in summer, a winter race day gives people a chance to do something a little different with their outfits which is always fun.”
Birdie Blue has recently relocated next to its old shop front to a larger store which has allowed Felicia to stock premier Australian label Talulah.
Felicia said stocking Talulah dresses offers Limestone Coast women something a little different for their formal events.
“Talulah dresses definitely have a big ‘racewear’ feel, but they’re also very wearable,” she said.
“The high quality and stunning design means you’ll be able to wear the dresses again and again which is important for value for money.
“I’m really loving all of their designs this season and am excited to see some of the dresses out and about on race day.”
FELICIA’S TOP FASHION HINTS AND TIPS
1. Block heels are a must for comfort during race day and will also help from sinking into the grass.
2. We are seeing a shift from the recent crown trend towards more fascinators and wide-brim hats. Crowns are still a classic for race day but headwear fashion has opened up to personal interpretation of late.
3. It is important to choose an outfit colour complimentary to skin tones. With fashion trends favouring earthy tones, I suggest either choosing a colour you are confident will not wash you out or make sure to get the all-important pre-races tan to give off a healthy glow.
4. You can’t go wrong with traditional race styles. I think fashion is all determined by those who wear it and what they feel comfortable in, but traditional lengths and necklines are always a classic choice on race day.
5. At the end of the day, it is important to feel comfortable and relaxed in whatever you wear. Choose what you love and what you feel most confident in. The best accessory is a big smile.
YEARS OF FASHION EXPERIENCE ON OFFER AT CITY BOUTIQUE
Mangos Fashion Boutique
KELLY and the team at Mangos Fashion Boutique have years of experience styling South East women for the races.
If you have never attended the Gold Cup Carnival, now is the time to do so before it moves to a summer date.
Mangos team member and Fashions on the Field enthusiast Abby Von Duve has offered her top tips for a winning race day look.
ABBY’S TOP FASHION HINTS AND TIPS
1. Prints are always a stand-out option for the races. Animal print is making a statement this season, along with plaid and dark florals. Mix and match your prints if you’re feeling brave, or throw in just a touch to update your look.
2. Worried you’ll get cold? Layer up your outfit with a lightweight knit, a fur vest or warmer footwear like boots. Black opaque tights and a black turtleneck can turn a lighter dress into a great winter look.
3. Make the most of our last winter Gold Cup with some beautiful millinery. Felt caps, berets and wide-brim hats are traditional and on-trend, or go for a trans-seasonal style in leather or lace. Avoid light materials like straw.
4. Don’t be afraid of colour in winter – our store is full of beautiful reds, pinks, mustard and greens this season. Brighten up a dreary day with a bold outfit.
5. If you are planning on trying your luck on the stage in Fashions on the Field, remember the judges are looking at your whole outfit from head to toe. Traditional winter accessories like stockings and gloves are not required, but some seasonal
guidelines should be followed – stick to closed-toe shoes, covered arms and winter headwear.
ONE STOP SHOP FOR RACE DAY FASHION
Harper & Co Boutique
STACY Fennell and her team at Harper & Co Boutique in the Mount Gambier Marketplace are ready to style you for the Scott Group of Companies Mount Gambier Gold Cup Carnival.
Harper & Co have a large range of clothing, jewellery and accessories for women.
Men are not forgotten, with a huge range of suits and a four piece suit deal and shoes for just $395.
Call in and see the girls at Harper & Co Boutique for all of your races needs.
SEASON EMBRACED TO BRING WONDERLAND CHARM TO PLATINUM MARQUEE
FOR the Mount Gambier Gold Cup’s last mid-year affair, Koonara Wines is embracing the season to bring wonderland charm to its
exclusive Platinum Marquee.
Koonara’s Nicole Reschke said guests will celebrate in style.
“This will be the last autumn meet in Mount Gambier, so we are doing all we can to make it a really special experience,” Nicole said.
“The freshness in the air and the extra glamour of autumn racewear – we are so excited to bring our wonderland theme to life.”
Over the past few years, the Koonara Platinum Marquee has become the prime destination for the ultimate trackside experience.
“It is important for us to support local talent, whether that is musicians, producers, creators, so we have assembled an amazing team of locals to cover every element of the event,” Nicole said.
“Presto Eatery is back to provide cocktail style food during the day, plus a grazing table – all hearty, healthy food prepared from scratch and with love.
“We have Bricks and Mortar Coffee on-site in case our guests are in need of a caffeine hit at any time during the day.”
For those looking to match their drinks with the season, there will be cold beers and as always, the guest package will include a range of Koonara’s award winning wines.
“We have also welcomed local band Sugar Loaf to provide some tunes, with a mix of pop, jazz and soul to get patrons up and
dancing – as we know everyone loves to do,” Nicole said.
“DJ Justin will also be on the decks during the day to make sure there isn’t a dance opportunity missed.
“This is one of our favourite parts of the day, seeing everyone relaxed, having a drink and a dance and enjoying a special
experience with friends.
“Oh and don’t worry, we have not forgotten about the racing.
“Our marquee is trackside, with prime views of the finish line, with private UBET and TV coverage.”
Tickets to Koonara’s exclusive ‘wonderland’ Platinum Marquee, are limited and available online at koonara.com at $189 which includes a $5 donation to the Stand Like Stone Foundation.