RESIDENTS of Nangwarry remain on high alert as fire bugs continue to strike fear into the community following the ninth house fire in three years on Sunday night.
At around 11pm, Nangwarry Country Fire Service crews – based just four properties from the premises – attended and extinguished a small blaze, which destroyed the bathroom of a vacant house in McIntosh Street.
Emergency services were alerted to the fire by a nearby resident who noticed smoke coming from the run-down property.
Wattle Range Country Fire Service (CFS) group officer Fred Stent said limited fuel in the bathroom allowed crews to contain the fire relatively quickly.
“They were able to respond swiftly as the station is only four